nullHiking takes center stage in the July issue of Los Angeles Magazine, with “10 Great Hikes (and 5 easy walks)” blasted across what appears to be a photo from the Chumash Trail in Point Mugu State Park.

There’s a brief intro to the series on the LA Mag’s web site, but the magazine’s worth picking up – even if just for the great trail photos.

Some of my personal favorites are covered, like La Jolla Valley, Sandstone Peak, and the Bridge to Nowhere, and they also highlight some areas I haven’t been to yet, like the Fish Canyon Narrows.

The magazine did a good job of pointing out some great local trails, although their recommendation for Mount Lowe follows the old railway grade and misses all the great ruins at Echo Mountain.

They also rightly call Runyon Canyon a “power walk,” not a hike. I hope they get as many impassioned, defensive letters as I have over the years :)

Share on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterShare on Google+Pin on PinterestShare on StumbleUponShare on RedditEmail this to someonePrint this page

Founder and Editor-in-Chief at Modern Hiker
Since founding Modern Hiker in 2006, Casey's writing has appeared in Backpacker, the REI Blog, Adventure Journal, and Sierra Trading Post's Social Hub. He was in Columbia Sportswear's inaugural #OmniTen program and was featured prominently in their documentary "I Am #OmniTen."

His stories for Modern Hiker have brought regional and national attention, and have been featured on Good Morning America, NPR, and the Associated Press.

Casey is also an award-winning television writer-producer, and was Series Producer of pivot's TakePart Live and Head Writer of G4's Attack of the Show.

Tags: , , ,

This post was written by Casey Schreiner on June 23, 2009

• Cloudy McNoggin says:

Geez Carrie-Ann. You just sent me off on a search for a rattlesnake mating video! I just HAD to know if they rattled during the act.

(They don’t and they can be ‘locked in’ for a full day. Crazy)

• Cloudy McNoggin says:

I actually saw this at my friend’s house the other day. He saved it as he’s just getting interested in hiking. Always a good thing to see.

And for me, any time I see John McKinney’s name on something I pay attention. He’s the cat who convinced me to switch from mountain biking to hiking after I picked up one of his trail guides.

I will say, in all selfishness, that I was glad they didn’t expose any of the real gems to the masses. They can have and enjoy Runyon Canyon. I’m also glad they didn’t include any in there that demanded a little more experience. I can’t take hearing about any more hikers falling to their deaths like the two recent tragedies at Eaton.

• Carie-Ann says:

That magazine was on the same page as me! I’ve been touting the greatness of both Baldy and the bridge to nowhere for some time now. Just did Wildwood Canyon, not mentioned, Saturday, saw 2 large owls under forest cover, and 2 rattlesnakes mating… wild!

Runyon…. blah. But I am a regular at Fryman, its a lot nicer,especially around 7pm. Hike around that a couple of times is better than a sweaty gym anyday.

• Jen White says:

Can anyone scan and upload the article? I tried to get the issue, but it isn’t in stands anymore.

Thanks!

• Kolby says:

I picked up the issue, thanks to your head’s up. I realized that the Fish Canyon they mention in the article is not the same Fish Canyon (in Asuza) that I mentioned reading about in the previous comment. Both look cool, though.

• Kolby says:

Cool! Thanks! I’ll pick up a copy tonight. I was just reading about Fish Canyon over the weekend. Looks like it’s a nice hike (once you get past the mining quarry.) Defining what a “hike” is (and isn’t) has always been difficult. Why don’t you think Runyon Canyon is a hike? (I haven’t traversed it, but based on your photos of all the people on the trail, I don’t think I’d want to. haha)