IMG_0880We all love hiking. But if you’re like me, one of the things you like most about hiking is the post-hike ritual – whether it’s downing a cold Arnold Palmer after a hot summer trail, washing layers of dust and dirt off in the shower after a backpacking trip, or making a run for the nearest In-N-Out after a long day on the East Fork Trail.

Now, the team at Horny Toad and I want to know what your favorite post-hike refueling station is. Is it a tavern in the woods? A favorite local brewpub? A hidden diner full of greasy food that tastes AMAZING after a day in the wilderness? A place that serves up a pancake as big as your chest?

Here’s what you have to do – leave a comment here with your favorite place. Feel free to include your favorite menu items, a link to their web site, or a photo of your favorite meal or drink. Then, head to the Horny Toad site to sign up for their email list – they’ll keep your inbox light AND give you a code for 20% off your first order. Hang onto that, though, because I’ll be picking two winners – a lady and a gent. The female winner will snag herself a cozy Adjunct Hoodie while the gentleman will have to make room in his closet for a toasty Cloudcover Vest, both courtesy of the fine folks at Horny Toad.

All entries must be in no later than 11:59 PM on Sunday, December 2nd. Once I select the winners, I’ll confirm with Horny Toad to make sure you’re on the list and then we’ll get your warm winter layers out in the mail – hopefully in time to get a few good alpine hikes in before the holidays set in.

Then you can look like one of these attractive folks down here! Good luck!

Tags: , , , , ,

Categorised in: ,

This post was written by Casey Schreiner on November 27, 2012

• My most memorable post-hike meal was at the Park Cafe just East of Glacier National Park. http://www.parkcafe.us/ Love the whole idea of Pie For Strength, and those huckleberry pancakes bigger than your platter plus a huckleberry milkshake? Heaven. I dream about that combo all the time, and threaten to drive across three states for that meal. *sigh*

But then again, after any long run or long hike- I want a milkshake so badly I settle for a generic fast food one if its the only option.

• Rohan says:

My post-hike refueling station is always – Chipotle. I always prefer a burrito bowl with brown rice, double chicken with salsa, veggies and some cheese (avoiding fatty Guacamole).

After a long hike opens a window of opportunity when your muscles are literally starving for nutrients. And this meal is the imperative for building muscles as well as replenishing energy sources.

I follow this Chipotle Calculator – http://www.chipotlefan.com/index.php?id=nutrition_calculator

You should be eating protein and carbs for replacing the lost muscle glycogen. And avoid eating fat – as it slows down digestion, of protein & carbs aslo.

• After hiking on South Mountain in Maryland I head to El Sloppy Taco in Brunswick, Maryland for the El Sloppy Burrito. The burrito is a pulled pork burrito with baked beans sweet slaw and barbeque sauce. It is huge and taste. The restaurant is right next to a large parking lot and old train station.

• I can always go for a good burger and fries after a hike. I love going to little local joints because they often have the best food!

• Clayton Froning says:

After a good hike in the Palisades, Malibu, or even Runyon, I like to hit Baby Blue’s Barbecue for a Fried Catfish Po-Boy, 2 glasses of water, and some cheap American beer!

• Reyna says:

You can find me at Fred62 in Los Feliz after hiking on a weekend morning….love, love, love The Dime Bag! Their pancakes are off the hook! http://www.fred62.com/

• Kristan says:

It isn’t super-local, but whenever I’m coming back from Yosemite, I ALWAYS make a point to stop at Erik Schat’s Bakkery in Bishop, CA. I know it’s super-touristy and super-crowded and all, but the sheepherder bread and freshly made cookies and jam really hit the spot. They’re also really good at giving you free cookies while you wait!

+ Erik Schat’s Bakery: http://www.yelp.com/biz/erick-schats-bakkery-bishop-2

Locally, I love to go the Nickel Diner in downtown Los Angeles. They have incredible breakfasts–including vegan and vegetarian options–and they make their own doughnuts (maple bacon doughnut craziness?!) and these pop-tart-like creations in-house. It’s also really close to the Last Bookstore, one of my favorite places to find used books to read on the trail!

+ The Last Bookstore: http://lastbookstorela.com/
    + Nickel Diner: http://www.nickeldiner.com/

• Joan says:

I love a cold coke after a hike and a juice burger with fries.
    Just started going here, Five Guys Burgers & Fries. (www.fiveguys.com) Not bad. Free peanuts while you wait!

• Chris says:

It may not be terribly original, but a stop at Denny’s is always a good bet. Nothing like a greasy breakfast or burger for cheap after a trip in the woods. http://dennys.com/

• Diana says:

I have to say that after I hike I love heading to Tony’s Darts Away. There is nothing like their delicious chili or jail house tacos and a good beer. http://tonysda.com/

• Kat says:

Often–too often?–our semi-weekly trek a few miles up the Mt. Wilson toll road ends at the Altadena Alehouse. I haven’t tried any of the food, but the ambiance and the beer are great!

• Holly G says:

I don’t think you can ever beat Crystal Lake Cafe- http://www.crystallakecafe.biz/. The owner is one of the nicest people you’ll ever meet and makes the best chili. It’s tough to beat a cup of his hot chocolate in winter when Hawkins Ridge is covered in snow!

• Chris C says:

I don’t know how Mt. Baldy Lodge hasn’t been mentioned yet. I can think of no better way to celebrate the summit of LA County’s highpoint then the namesake lodge in Baldy Village. Great entrees (I personally love the cheesesteak), live music on the weekend, and what beer doesn’t taste refreshing after a long hike in the Baldy area?

• Nicole says:

Roscoe’s Chicken and Waffles – the classic….three wings and a waffle with syrup and a side of greens chased with an ice cold light beer straight from the bottle. Nirvana y’all!

• Zac says:

I am a big fan of Chipotle, best post hike meal is a veg burrito bowl with brown rice, black beans, fajitas, salas and guac… Amazing…

• Xina Uhl says:

Topper’s Pizza in Thousand Oaks – http://topperspizzaplace.com/ Yummy pizza and beer, should you feel the need.

• Cynthia hernandez says:

After a hike up thru Sycamore Canyon with a view of the ocean, I luv to stop at Malibu Seafood on PCH for some smoked garlic mussels and sometimes fish and chips!

• Heather says:

Nothing says post-hike gluttony like a Route 66 skillet with a side of pancakes at Flappy Jack’s Pancake House in Glendora.

• If I’m around Wilson I always like to hit the Adams’ Pack Station for a hot dog and a beer. Other than that, The Pub at Golden Road near Griffith Park and King’s Row in Pasadena are always great spots.

• Lloyd Tanner says:

Newcombs Ranch is my go to in the Gabriels…. located at mile marker 50 or so on the beautiful CA 2…order the chili and a Fat Tire….open breakfast, lunch, and diner 365 days a year. Great place to fuel up to hike Mt. Baden-Powell or relax after some time walking around Mt. Waterman. Friendliest group of people and if you have car trouble they have a land line that is always a life saver.